Friday, September 25, 2009

Jane Austen










After reading the Twilight Saga I was really interested in reading the Jane Austen books that Bella loved so much. So after reading the Twilight Saga about three times I decided to buy Wuthering Heights and the collective novels of Jane Austen. I tried to read Wuthering Heights first and woooooo it was like what language are they speaking. So two chapters and two bottles of Tylenol later I decided to put that book down and try Sense and Sensibility. I instantly fell into a grove with Jane Austen's writing. That's the only way to describe it. British literature is not for everyone but I fell in love with it. I could just picture her characters with puffy dresses, stocking, hats and the way they held themselves with proper edict and manners. It was a lot of fun to get into that world and to imagine myself there. Out of her seven novels these are the only three I have read so far.
1. Sense and Sensibility- It's romantic and fanciful. The main character Elinor is a realist. She is level headed, reasonable and responsible. Her sister Marianne is vivacious, full of excitement and ideas, she lives life to the fullest. It reminded me of my relationship with my sister. Guess which one I am. You'll have a wonderful time reading the interaction between the two.
Rating-4

2. Pride and Prejudice- I absolutely love this book!!! I loved Lizzy, she is feisty and confident and won't settle for less then what she feels is the absolute best that life can offer her. You'll want to read this book over and over again. I highly recommend the 2005 version of the movie directed by Joe Wright. Keira Knightley plays Elizabeth Bennet perfectly.
Rating-5

3. Mansfield Park- I enjoyed the book but I didn't like the way the story left me felling. It was as if Fanny was second best and Edmund settled for her when obviously she was the best woman for him. I guess I'm just upset at Edmund for ever thinking otherwise ;) Huh, men what do they know?
Rating- 3

No comments:

Post a Comment